Project Description

Bolsover Castle

Bolsover Castle occupies the hilltop site of a medieval fortress built by the Peverel family. The wealthy Sir Charles Cavendish bought the old fortress in 1612 and began work on his Little Castle project. His son William – playboy, poet, courtier and later Civil War Royalist general and first Duke of Newcastle, inherited the Little Castle in 1617 and set about its completion, assisted by the architect John Smythson. What resulted was a kind of ‘toy keep’, housing tiers of luxurious staterooms. The exquisitely carved fireplaces, and richly-coloured murals and panelling of its miraculously preserved and beautifully restored interiors still take the visitor on an allegorical journey from earthly concerns to heavenly (and erotic) delights. To see more click here